Thursday, October 27, 2011

leaving Africa

As I hear the rain falling outside as I write, I am keenly aware that I am leaving the beauty of Africa. The last week has held so many different experiences that it's hard to wrap my mind around everything. So I won't try to wrap it all up but just give a little bit of my thoughts that are in my mind as I go...

Meeting David:
I met David just outside of Gisenyi when Pastor Simon had taken some of us to see the natural hot springs. After driving down a rocky dirt road and through a small town we arrived and drew some attention since there were a bunch of Rwandans with a "muzungu" (white person). David approached me quietly and just stood by me until I said hello. He quickly answered back and I could tell was excited to practice his English. He carried a ball that had been carefully made with plastic bags and string to be a soccer ball - each knot was perfectly spaced and tied. We began to talk and I asked him what he wanted to study. He said medicine, to be a doctor. I told him that was so great and to keep going in school to be a doctor. He smiled and we continued to chat about his tests at school the next day. Our conversation was short as we left the hot springs shortly after, but I keep thinking about David. I don't think I'll ever see him again or know what he will do with his life and I hold both sadness and hope for him. Seeing poverty is never easy and is not anything I can or want to rationalize, summarize, or try to forget - I hope it affects me and continues to affect me deeply in my life. I have learned that it is the weight of the knowledge of sadness, injustice, and hurt in the world that keeps us human and deeply connected to our world. I hold hope for David that he will become a doctor like he dreams. I want it so bad for him. I think the world we live in holds both immense goodness, sadness, dreams, and unjust reality. I hope that I don't ever try to pretend that there is only good or only bad - both exist. For David, I hope that goodness wins out and for me, I pray that I put action to my hope, in whatever way that will be in my life, believing always in goodness. I hope that my chance meeting with David continues to make me think and act. 

As I go I think of so many things, the beauty of the countryside, dancing, singing, thriving communities, and warm, loving homes and I know only a small sliver of Rwandan and Ugandan culture and only a handful of their people. I definitely leave Rwanda and Uganda with far more questions than answers, and that's a good thing. I can't define either place but I can only say that I have been changed for seeing and meeting and learning. I am so grateful for the time I've had here. Today I leave for Paris. I can only imagine what I will feel when I get there in such a completely different place and culture. I have to keep telling myself to keep my hands open and just receive what there is to receive from there. I believe that God has more to show me as I journey on.

I also wanted to share some photos from this last week - including some from the safari I went on yesterday with Simon Pierre and his family! Enjoy and I will send stories from Europe soon!

This was quite a sight. I've never seen mattresses stacked like that before! Maximizing that delivery for sure!
My Kigali friends: Blake & Rafaelle Armstrong, Jesse & Brittany Roman, (thanks for letting me stay with you!) and new friends Blake, Joe & Sophie. This was us after celebrating Brittany's birthday with a stellar home made dinner.

A pictures from my visit to the Genocide Memorial Museum. There were many others that said the same "Never Forget" - a reminder to never become apathetic or forget, our memories remind of us of our part in humanity and our responsibility for peace. The stories, photos, and history I learned will stay with me forever. This is such a real part of Rwanda as they heal from such a terrible event in their history.

Pastor Simon & Mama Caritas - they taught me so much. Muracose chaney! I am so glad I got to visit them and to see the amazing work they are doing in Gisenyi. I know that this is just the beginning of a life-long friendship.

Giraffe in nature! What?!?! (I was excited, if you couldn't tell)

The Safari crew!

1 comment:

  1. hiii cris!! how are you!! so nice you share yours trips here!! be sure i will visit here and read all your experience! i know that good are making amazing thing in your life.
    the people african are so lovely, and have a lot of things to teach us!!

    i miss u a lot! big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete